In the year 678 A.D., Inner Farne was home to St. Cuthbert. After 12 years as Prior of Lindisfarne, St. Cuthbert retired to Inner Farne until he became Bishop of Lindisfarne in 684 A.D.. He returned to Inner Farne when his health deteriorated and died there on March 20, 687 A.D. A church was built on the island in 1370 dedicated to him.
Apart from the Inner Farne Lighthouse, all the buildings on the island date from the monastic period. The "Fishehouse" situated beside the landing jetty is all that remains of the guest house that was built by St. Cuthbert for his visitors.
After St. Cuthbert's death, St. Aethelwold the Hermit took up residence on the island. He should not be confused with his near contemporary, St. Ęthelwold, Bishop of Lindisfarne.
About St. Cuthbert's Chapel on Inner Farne Island
Wikipedia: Farne Islands
Journey to St. Cuthbert's Chapel on Inner Farne Island
Inner Farne is a small island located seven miles to the south of the Lindisfarne (Holy Island) and two miles from the mainland off the coast of Northumberland, England, accessible by boat.
New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Cuthbert
Wikipedia: St. Cuthbert
St. Aethelwold the Hermit
Newman Reader: History of St. Edelwald, Hermit at Farne
Ordnance Survey Map (NU21803598)
Visitors information for St. Cuthbert's Chapel on Inner Farne Island may be found at the National Trust website. Additional information may be found on the Farne Islands Blog website. General tourist information may be found at the Visit Northumberland website.
Additional Photos of St. Cuthbert's Chapel on Inner Farne Island
To be posted Summer 2013